Saturday, September 15, 2007

Getting better with each day

Its been a week or so since I last posted anything...
Jeff was released on Sunday the 2nd of September. He was never happier to get home!
We are both doing better now. Well I am almost back to normal. I have little or no pain. I can't lay in my stomach yet, but I am doing well. I drive and even went out to the fabric shop for two hours the other day. I will see the doc on Monday for my checkup. He will tell me when I can return to work.
Jeff is doing better too. They removed all the staples on Wednesday. He can now wear his jeans. He is in some pain still. His incision area is a little tender and bruised. His legs are the real problem. Now his joints are bothering him. He goes though bouts of real pain in the knees and hips. We were told that could be caused by some of his meds. I believe it is the Prednisone, one of the three anti-rejection medications he will be taking for the rest of his life. But they are slowly lowering his dose each week. He started off at 20mg twice a day and is now down to just 25mg once a day. Monday he is to start taking 20mg once a day. For the pain he can take an extra strength Tylenol or if it is real bad he takes an Oxycod or better known as Percocet. (they put me in la la land) I will stick to the Tylenol.
Yesterday was Jeff's first time driving since the 13Th of July. He dropped off the cycler equipment. That is a piece of his life he never wants to see again.
This first month Jeff needs to go to the clinic/hospital twice a week. I believe in October he will be going only once a week. And then every other week. They need to keep a close watch on his blood work and kidney function. So far everything is good. Lets just hope it stays that way for a long, long time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy,
Just found your blog from MJf's.
Hoping you and your husband are both doing well. Praying for your continued healing and strength to return.
Denise

suzyhomemaker said...

Kathy, you are a BRAVE and Beautiful and Wonderful woman. Please KNOW this deep in your heart. You are the kindest person I know. It is not easy to decide to give a piece of yourself to another person. God bless you and your husband. I wil lpray for continued healing for both of you and the kidney to be working the rest of your husband's life

Kathy, I know someone very well who had to wait over three years for a kidney. The dialysis was so hard on her and her family. She is now almost three years with the new kidney. She is a different woman, so very beautiful, vibrant and alive. She is a Christian and she was "waiting for her healing", not an esy thing for anyone. I know that God is going to continue to bless your dear hubby with healing and good health.

It takes time to heal from surgery. Please do NOT push it. Let the body accept and heal as it needs to. This is for both of you. Do as the doctor says and really be well before doing too much, including lifting!!

Looking forward to checking in again and hearing about the good progress.